Abutments are a vital part of any bridge structure, providing both support and stability during construction and use. They provide a platform for installing the span while also transferring loads between different components. This article will explain what abutments are and their purpose in bridge designs
Table Of Content:
- Abutment | Definition of Abutment by Merriam-Webster
- Abutment Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- ABUTMENT | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- Abutment definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- Abutment - Wikipedia
- Dental abutment - definition of dental abutment by The Free Dictionary
- ABUTMENT | Definition of ABUTMENT by Oxford Dictionary on ...
- definition of implant abutment by The Free Dictionary
- ABUTMENT English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com
- abutment - Meaning in English
1. Abutment | Definition of Abutment by Merriam-Webster
Abutment definition is - the place at which one thing borders on or abuts another. How to use abutment in a sentence.
2. Abutment Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
a mass, as of masonry, receiving the arch, beam, truss, etc., at each end of a bridge. a mass or structure for resisting the pressure of water on a ...
3. ABUTMENT | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
5 days ago ... abutment definition: 1. a structure that is built to support an arch (= a curved top on two supports, that holds the…. Learn more.
4. Abutment definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
abutment in American English · 1. the act or an instance of abutting · 2. something that abuts or borders upon something else · 3. the point of contact between a ...
5. Abutment - Wikipedia
An abutment is the substructure at the ends of a bridge span or dam supporting its superstructure. Single-span bridges have abutments at each end which ...
6. Dental abutment - definition of dental abutment by The Free Dictionary
A structure that anchors the cables of a suspension bridge. American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton ...
7. ABUTMENT | Definition of ABUTMENT by Oxford Dictionary on ...
1A structure built to support the lateral pressure of an arch or span, e.g. at the ends of a bridge. 'the first bridge was of timber with stone abutments'.
8. definition of implant abutment by The Free Dictionary
a·but·ment. n. refuerzo, remate; [dentistry] soporte. English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012.
9. ABUTMENT English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com
English dictionary definition of ABUTMENT along with additional meanings, example sentences, and different ways to say.
10. abutment - Meaning in English
Tamil to English Dictionary: abutment. Meaning and definitions of abutment, translation of abutment in English language with similar and opposite words. Spoken ...
What is an abutment in bridge design?
An abutment is an endmost supporting element of a bridge or arch that provides a platform for the installation of the span, transfers loads, and serves as anchors for the substructure of the bridge.
What purpose do abutments serve?
Abutments serve to provide support and stability during construction as well as during use by providing a platform for installation, transferring loads between different components, and acting as anchors for substructures.
Are abutments necessary to build bridges?
Yes, abutments are required in order to build stable bridges that can withstand heavy usage and environmental conditions. As they provide structural integrity to bridges, they must be installed correctly in order to ensure success.
Abutments play an important role in designing and constructing bridges by providing support and stability during construction and use. Although they are necessary components in building safe structures, it is important that they be installed properly so that their intended purpose can be fulfilled correctly.