An abutment is an engineering structure used to provide support or stability to other connected structures. This type of support is most commonly seen in bridges and dams, where they help provide a safe connection between two larger structures. In this article, we will discuss the different types of abutments, their purpose, and how they are used in various applications.
Table Of Content:
- Abutment | Definition of Abutment by Merriam-Webster
- Abutment Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- Abutment definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- ABUTMENT | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- ABUTMENT | Definition of ABUTMENT by Oxford Dictionary on ...
- Dental abutment - definition of dental abutment by The Free Dictionary
- Abutment - Wikipedia
- definition of implant abutment by The Free Dictionary
- abutment - English-Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com
- abutment - Meaning in English
1. Abutment | Definition of Abutment by Merriam-Webster
Abutment definition is - the place at which one thing borders on or abuts another. How to use abutment in a sentence.
2. Abutment Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
a mass, as of masonry, receiving the arch, beam, truss, etc., at each end of a bridge. a mass or structure for resisting the pressure of water on a ...
3. Abutment definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
abutment in American English · 1. the act or an instance of abutting · 2. something that abuts or borders upon something else · 3. the point of contact between a ...
4. ABUTMENT | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
5 days ago ... abutment definition: 1. a structure that is built to support an arch (= a curved top on two supports, that holds the…. Learn more.
5. ABUTMENT | Definition of ABUTMENT by Oxford Dictionary on ...
1A structure built to support the lateral pressure of an arch or span, e.g. at the ends of a bridge. 'the first bridge was of timber with stone abutments'.
6. Dental abutment - definition of dental abutment by The Free Dictionary
A structure that anchors the cables of a suspension bridge. American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton ...
7. Abutment - Wikipedia
An abutment is the substructure at the ends of a bridge span or dam supporting its superstructure. Single-span bridges have abutments at each end which ...
8. definition of implant abutment by The Free Dictionary
a·but·ment. n. refuerzo, remate; [dentistry] soporte. English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012.
9. abutment - English-Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com
abutment - Translation to Spanish, pronunciation, and forum discussions.
10. abutment - Meaning in English
Tamil to English Dictionary: abutment. Meaning and definitions of abutment, translation of abutment in English language with similar and opposite words. Spoken ...
What is an abutment?
An abutment is an engineering structure used to provide support or stability to other connected structures.
What type of structures usually need abutments?
Abutments are most commonly seen in bridge and dam construction, as they are needed to provide a safe connection between two larger structures.
How do abutments benefit structural stability?
Abutments help reduce the amount of strain on larger connected structures by providing the necessary support and stability needed for these types of projects.
Are there different types of abutments?
Yes, there are several different types of abutments including cantilever, pinned/hinged, rocker bearing, fixed/fixed and segmental. The type of abutment used depends on the project being completed.
Abutments are an important part of any structure where two large components need to be joined together safely and securely. With so many different types available for different applications it's easy to find the right one for any project. Abutments play a crucial role in maintaining structural integrity, so it's important that they are properly designed and installed for best results.