The half-hyphen is a punctuation mark that is used to indicate pauses in a sentence or points where words have been omitted. It can also be used to link certain elements of words together. Half-hyphens are most commonly used in informal written communication, as they help to make text easier to read and understand.
Table Of Content:
- Half-and-half | Definition of Half-and-half by Merriam-Webster
- Half-and-half Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- Half | Definition of Half by Merriam-Webster
- Dash - Wikipedia
- Half Brother | Definition of Half Brother by Merriam-Webster
- Hyphen - Wikipedia
- Half Asleep | Definition of Half Asleep by Merriam-Webster
- NOT HALF BAD (phrase) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...
- Half-term definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- HALF-DAY | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
1. Half-and-half | Definition of Half-and-half by Merriam-Webster
Half-and-half definition is - something that is approximately half one thing and half another: such as. ... Nglish: Translation of half-and-half for Spanish Speakers .
2. Half-and-half Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
Chiefly British. a mixture of two malt liquors, especially porter and ale. adjective. half one thing and half another. adverb. in two equal parts. QUIZ. ARE YOU A ...
3. Half | Definition of Half by Merriam-Webster
Half definition is - either of two equal parts that compose something; also : a part ... See the full definition for half in the English Language Learners Dictionary.
4. Dash - Wikipedia
The dash is a punctuation mark consisting of a long horizontal line. It is similar in appearance to ... The en dash, en rule, or nut dash – is traditionally half the width of an em dash. ... For example, the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the AMA Manual of Style, and Dorland's medical reference works use ...
5. Half Brother | Definition of Half Brother by Merriam-Webster
Half brother definition is - a brother related through one parent only. How to ... See the full definition for half brother in the English Language Learners Dictionary.
6. Hyphen - Wikipedia
Reflecting this changing usage, in 2007, the sixth edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary removed the hyphens from ...
7. Half Asleep | Definition of Half Asleep by Merriam-Webster
Half asleep definition is - not completely awake : very tired. How to ... Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/half%20asleep.
8. NOT HALF BAD (phrase) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...
Definition and synonyms of not half bad from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education. This is the British English definition of not half bad.
9. Half-term definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
Half-term definition: Half-term is a short holiday in the middle of a school term. | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples.
10. HALF-DAY | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
5 days ago ... half-day meaning: 1. lasting for a morning or an afternoon, rather than the whole day: 2. a day when people only…. Learn more.
In conclusion, the use of half hyphens is quite versatile and helpful for both informal and formal written communication purposes due its ability to add pauses, emphasis, shorten lines and associate different topics together all at once!