The phrase “Am I my brother’s keeper?” is a biblical reference taken from the Old Testament book of Genesis. In this story, Cain kills his brother Abel out of jealousy and when God confronts him about it, Cain responds with the line “Am I my brother’s keeper?” The phrase has since been used as a metaphor for the obligation that humans have to help one another in times of need.
Table Of Content:
- I am not my brother's keeper | definition in the Cambridge English ...
- My Brother's Keeper | New York State Education Department
- I am my brother's keeper - Translation into Spanish - examples ...
- I am not my brother's keeper - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
- Genesis 4:9 “Am I my brother's keeper”: Translation, Meaning, Context
- Be brother's keeper - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
- Am I my brother's keeper? - הֲשֹׁמֵר ... - Hebrew Word of the Day
- Cain and Abel - Wikipedia
- Brother's keeper, am i my Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- Am I my brother's keeper :: English-German ... - dict.cc dictionary
1. I am not my brother's keeper | definition in the Cambridge English ...
I am not my brother's keeper meaning: 1. used as a way of saying that you are not responsible for what someone else does or for what…. Learn more.
2. My Brother's Keeper | New York State Education Department
The virtual 2021 New York State My Brother's Keeper Symposium was April 29 & 30, 2021. Video recordings from the Symposium are now available. MBK ...
3. I am my brother's keeper - Translation into Spanish - examples ...
Translations in context of "I am my brother's keeper" in English-Spanish from Reverso Context: Let us act quickly, decisively, collectively and in harmony with the ...
4. I am not my brother's keeper - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
Definition of I am not my brother's keeper in the Idioms Dictionary. I am not my brother's keeper phrase. What does I am not my brother's keeper expression mean ...
5. Genesis 4:9 “Am I my brother's keeper”: Translation, Meaning, Context
Sep 15, 2017 ... What does this verse really mean? Use this table to get a word-for-word translation of the original Hebrew Scripture. This shows the English ...
6. Be brother's keeper - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
Definition of be brother's keeper in the Idioms Dictionary. be brother's keeper phrase. ... Each of us should be responsible for himself! be one's own man and be one's own master to be someone who is not ... Complete English Grammar Rules
7. Am I my brother's keeper? - הֲשֹׁמֵר ... - Hebrew Word of the Day
Apr 10, 2017 ... As such, it has a meaning that extends beyond the literal, word-for-word translation. Literal meaning: 'ha' in English is the definite article 'the.
8. Cain and Abel - Wikipedia
For other uses, see My Brother's Keeper (disambiguation). Cain slaying Abel, by Peter Paul Rubens, c. 1600. In the biblical Book of Genesis, Cain and Abel are the first two sons of Adam and Eve. Cain, the firstborn, was a farmer, and his brother Abel was a shepherd. ... Abel (hbl) is thought to derive from a reconstructed word meaning 'herdsman' ...
9. Brother's keeper, am i my Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
After Cain had murdered his brother Abel, God asked him where his brother was. Cain answered, “I know not; am I my brother's keeper?” QUIZ. ARE YOU ...
10. Am I my brother's keeper :: English-German ... - dict.cc dictionary
dict.cc English-German Dictionary: Translation for Am I my brother's keeper.
What is the origin of "Am I my brother's keeper" ?
The phrase “Am I my brother’s keeper?” originates from a verse in the Bible from Genesis 4:9. In this story, Cain has killed his brother Abel out of jealousy and when God confronts him about it, Cain responds with this line.
What does "Am I my brother's keeper" mean?
It means to take responsibility for others and be willing to look after them even if it may be difficult or inconvenient for us to do so. This can refer to supporting family members, friends or even complete strangers who are in need.
This phrase calls attention to our moral duty as people to care for others and address social problems that arise due to inequality, injustice or mistreatment of those less fortunate than us. By looking after one another, we can better create an inclusive and supportive environment for all members of society.
What role does 'Am I My Brother's Keeper' play today?
It serves as a reminder that we should always strive to help our fellow beings whenever the opportunity arises. We should be there for each other during difficult times, encouraging kindness and understanding while fostering an atmosphere of love and acceptance.
In conclusion, no matter what our individual beliefs may be, "Am I my Brother's Keeper" serves as an important reminder that we have an obligation towards each other as human beings - whether family, friends or strangers - to support one another during challenging times in life and always consider their welfare first.