Miles per hour (mph) is a unit of speed, expressing the number of miles traveled in one hour. It is commonly used in the United States and other countries to measure road speeds and airspeeds. This article explains mph as well as frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to its definition and meaning.
Table Of Content:
- Per | Definition of Per by Merriam-Webster
- Nautical mile - Wikipedia
- MPH | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- Miles per hour - definition of miles per hour by The Free Dictionary
- Mph definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- mph abbreviation - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage ...
- How is miles per hour abbreviated?
- Mph Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- mph | Free On-Line English Dictionary | Thesaurus | Children's ...
- mile | meaning of mile in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary ...
1. Per | Definition of Per by Merriam-Webster
per. abbreviation. Definition ... Preposition The speed limit is 35 miles per hour. ... See the full definition for per in the English Language Learners Dictionary. per.
2. Nautical mile - Wikipedia
A nautical mile is a unit of length used in air, marine, and space navigation, and for the ... The derived unit of speed is the knot, one nautical mile per hour. Contents. 1 Unit symbol; 2 History; 3 Similar definitions; 4 See also; 5 Notes; 6 References ... nm is a non-standard abbreviation used in many maritime applications and ...
3. MPH | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
5 days ago ... abbreviation for miles per hour (= the number of miles a vehicle travels in one hour, a measure of its speed): The speed limit is 55 mph. (Definition ...
4. Miles per hour - definition of miles per hour by The Free Dictionary
Define miles per hour. miles per hour synonyms, miles per hour pronunciation, miles per hour translation, English dictionary definition of miles per hour. A unit of ...
5. Mph definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
mph is written after a number to indicate the speed of something such as a vehicle. mph is an abbreviation for 'miles per hour.' Inside these zones, traffic speeds ...
6. mph abbreviation - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage ...
Definition of mph abbreviation in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. ... miles per hour ... Find the answers with Practical English Usage online, your indispensable guide to problems ... See mph in the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary.
7. How is miles per hour abbreviated?
Looking for abbreviations of MPH? ... MPH. (redirected from miles per hour) Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, ... Complete English Grammar Rules
8. Mph Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
Mph definition, miles per hour. See more. ... Top Definitions; Quizzes; Examples; British ... abbreviation. miles per hour ... Other definitions for mph (2 of 3). M.P.H. ...
9. mph | Free On-Line English Dictionary | Thesaurus | Children's ...
Definition of mph. Free online Dictionary including thesaurus, children's and intermediate dictionary by ... definition: an abbreviation for "miles per hour." ...
10. mile | meaning of mile in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary ...
mile meaning, definition, what is mile: a unit for measuring distance, equal to . ... mile. From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary EnglishRelated topics: ... He estimated that the car must have been doing at least 18 miles per hour on the ... / maɪl/ written abbreviation m noun [countable] (also geographical mile) a unit for ...
What does mph stand for?
MPH stands for Miles Per Hour.
How many kilometers equal one mile?
One mile is equal to 1.6 kilometers or 1km = 0.62mi
How fast is 60 mph in kph?
60mph is equal to roughly 96.5kph/60mph = 96.56kph
How long would it take to travel 18 miles at 30 mph?
It would take 36 minutes to travel 18 miles at 30mph (18mi/30mph = 0.6 hours).
Does mph measure only speed?
No, mph can also be used as a unit of measurement when calculating acceleration, deceleration, and other mechanical measurements. However, it is most commonly used to measure speed over time or distance traveled by an object.
Miles per hour, represented by the acronym "mph" is the most common unit used to measure velocity and speed over time or distance in English-speaking countries such as the United States, Canada and England. The abbreviation stands for Miles Per Hour, meaning how many miles are traveled within an hour’s time frame. This article discussed the definition and meaning behind this acronym along with several relevant FAQs about MPH usage and calculation.