Underpinning is an important construction process that supports existing structural foundations to provide additional stability and integrity. It is used on buildings, retaining walls, and other constructions to strengthen or expand their support base. This process involves digging underneath existing foundations and building specialized masonry support systems that are designed to meet specific structural requirements.
Table Of Content:
- Underpinning | Definition of Underpinning by Merriam-Webster
- Underpinning Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- Underpin | Definition of Underpin by Merriam-Webster
- Underpin Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- Underpinning - definition of underpinning by The Free Dictionary
- UNDERPIN | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- Underpinning definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- UNDERPINNING English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com
- UNDERPINNING | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- UNDERPINNING (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...
1. Underpinning | Definition of Underpinning by Merriam-Webster
7 days ago ... Underpinning definition is - the material and construction (such as a foundation) used for support of a structure. How to use underpinning ...
2. Underpinning Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
a foundation or basis: to uncover the emotional underpinnings of an illness. underpinnings, Informal. underwear, especially women's underwear. the legs.
3. Underpin | Definition of Underpin by Merriam-Webster
a wall underpinned by metal beams the central beliefs that underpin a free society ... Britannica English: Translation of underpin for Arabic Speakers.
4. Underpin Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
to furnish a foundation for; corroborate: The author's conclusions are underpinned by references to experimental findings. QUIZ. ARE YOU A TRUE BLUE CHAMPION OF ...
5. Underpinning - definition of underpinning by The Free Dictionary
Define underpinning. underpinning synonyms, underpinning pronunciation, underpinning translation, English dictionary definition of underpinning. n. 1.
6. UNDERPIN | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
5 days ago ... to give support, strength, or a basic structure to something: He presented data to underpin his argument. Gradually the laws that underpinned (= ...
7. Underpinning definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
Underpinning definition: a structure of masonry , concrete , etc, placed beneath a wall to provide support | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and ...
8. UNDERPINNING English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com
English dictionary definition of UNDERPINNING along with additional meanings, example sentences, and different ways to say.
9. UNDERPINNING | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
5 days ago ... Meaning of underpinning in English · This was a case that had no legal or factual underpinnings. · She is convinced that autism has biological ...
10. UNDERPINNING (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...
Definition of UNDERPINNING (noun): important part allowing something to ... of underpinning from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.
What is underpinning?
Underpinning is the process of strengthening and supporting existing foundations for a structure. It involves digging underneath existing foundations and building specialized masonry support systems designed to meet specific structural requirements.
When would you need underpinning?
Underpinning is usually necessary when a building, wall, or other structure needs additional stability or strength in order to remain safe and secure. This can be due to changes in soil conditions, shifting foundation loads, or the addition of extra weight from new constructions nearby.
Are there different types of underpinning?
Yes, there are different types of underpinning depending on the particular project requirements. These include mass concrete underpinning, beam-and-base underpinning, stepped underpinning, mini-piled underpinning, slab-jacking underpins, basement underpins, among others.
Underpinning is an important construction process that helps ensure buildings stay strong over time by providing additional stability and integrity for their foundations. There are various types available depending on particular project requirements which require professional help from experienced engineers in order to ensure the job is done correctly and safely.