Canton is a type of administrative division in some countries. It refers to a division of land under the jurisdiction of another political entity, such as a municipality or province. Cantons are usually smaller than provinces and have their own governing bodies.
Table Of Content:
- Canton | Definition of Canton by Merriam-Webster
- canton - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
- CANTON English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com
- Demicanton | Definition of Demicanton by Merriam-Webster
- CANTON | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- Canton definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- canton noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes ...
- Canton River definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- Canton flannel - definition of Canton flannel by The Free Dictionary
- CANTON (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary
1. Canton | Definition of Canton by Merriam-Webster
Canton definition is - a small territorial division of a country: such as. ... Britannica English: Translation of canton for Arabic Speakers. Britannica.com: ...
2. canton - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
one of the states of the Swiss confederation. can•ton•al, adj. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2021.
3. CANTON English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com
noun · 1A subdivision of a country established for political or administrative purposes. 'they rejected the possibility of dividing the country into cantons'. More ...
4. Demicanton | Definition of Demicanton by Merriam-Webster
Demicanton definition is - one of the two divisions into which each of the three ... 1853, in the meaning defined above ... Dictionary Entries Near demicanton.
5. CANTON | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
7 days ago ... canton definition: 1. a political region or local government area in some countries, especially one of the 23… ... Meaning of canton in English.
6. Canton definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
canton in American English · 1. any of the political divisions of a country or territory. ; specif.,. a. any of the states in the Swiss Republic. b. · 2. a. Heraldry. a small, ...
7. canton noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes ...
Definition of canton noun in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. ... Find the answers with Practical English Usage online, your indispensable guide to ...
8. Canton River definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
Canton River definition: a river in SE China , in S Guangdong province , flowing southeast from Canton (Guangzhou)... | Meaning, pronunciation, translations ...
9. Canton flannel - definition of Canton flannel by The Free Dictionary
Define Canton flannel. Canton flannel synonyms, Canton flannel pronunciation, Canton flannel translation, English dictionary definition of Canton flannel. n ...
10. CANTON (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary
Definition and synonyms of canton from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education. This is the British English definition of canton.View American ...
What is canton?
Canton is a type of administrative division in some countries. It refers to a division of land under the jurisdiction of another political entity, such as a municipality or province.
How is canton different from province?
Cantons are usually smaller than provinces and have their own governing bodies. Provinces are larger and typically have more power within their jurisdiction than cantons do.
Who oversees canton divisions?
Generally, it is the governmental body that has sovereignty over the region that oversees canton divisions. This could be either a national government or an autonomous region like a city or province.
How many types of cantons exist?
There are numerous types of cantons existing today, and the number varies depending on where you look. Different countries can have different types with differing levels of autonomy for the division.
Are there any jurisdictions that do not use cantons?
Yes, not every country uses this type of administrative divisional system. Some may choose to divide up regions with counties or prefectures instead for example.
In conclusion, canton is an administrative division which allows for areas within a region to be divided into smaller parts with more localized government systems. They are found all around the world in various forms, though they may not always be used in every jurisdiction since there are other options available too.