Butter fingers is an English phrase used to describe someone who is clumsy or has difficulty holding onto objects. This phrase can often be used in friendly jest towards someone whose hands may not be as steady as others. By understanding the development of this phrase, we can gain a better understanding of how language evolves over time.
Table Of Content:
- Butterfingers Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- Butterfingered | Definition of Butterfingered by Merriam-Webster
- BUTTERFINGERS | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- Butterfingers definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- BUTTERFINGERS | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- butterfingers - English-Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com
- Butterfingers - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
- BUTTERFINGERS | Definition of BUTTERFINGERS by Oxford ...
- Butterfingers - definition of butterfingers by The Free Dictionary
- BUTTERFINGERS (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...
1. Butterfingers Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
Butterfingers definition, a person who frequently drops things; clumsy person. See more.
2. Butterfingered | Definition of Butterfingered by Merriam-Webster
Butterfingered definition is - apt to let things fall or slip through the fingers : careless. How to use butterfingered ... Dictionary Entries Near butterfingered. butterfat.
3. BUTTERFINGERS | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
6 days ago ... Meaning of butterfingers in English ... a person who drops things they are carrying or trying to catch: [ as form of address ] "Butterfingers!" she ...
4. Butterfingers definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
Butterfingers definition: a person who drops things inadvertently or fails to catch things | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples.
5. BUTTERFINGERS | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
6 days ago ... butterfingers meaning: 1. a person who drops things they are carrying or trying to catch: 2. a person who drops things…. Learn more.
6. butterfingers - English-Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com
butterfingers - Translation to Spanish, pronunciation, and forum discussions.
7. Butterfingers - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
have (or be a) butterfingers. be unable to catch deftly or hold securely. This phrase comes from the idea that hands covered with butter will be slippery, making ...
8. BUTTERFINGERS | Definition of BUTTERFINGERS by Oxford ...
What is the definition of BUTTERFINGERS? What is the meaning of BUTTERFINGERS? How do you use ... Thesaurus.com. Translate butterfingers into Spanish ...
9. Butterfingers - definition of butterfingers by The Free Dictionary
but′ter·fin′gered adj. American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing ...
10. BUTTERFINGERS (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...
butterfingers Definitions and Synonyms ... Definition and synonyms of butterfingers from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education. This is the British ...
What does butter fingers mean?
Butter fingers is an English phrase used to describe someone who is clumsy or has difficulty holding onto objects.
Where did the term butter fingers come from?
It is thought that the phrase originated from baseball and was a reference to a dropped baseball catch. Over time, it became a more general term for someone who was clumsy with their hands.
How long has butter fingers been in use?
The first recorded use of the phrase "butter fingers" dates back to the early 1900s however it's thought that it was probably in use before then.
Knowing where and how phrases originate gives us valuable insight into how language evolves and changes over time. As certain phrases become more widely accepted, they may take on new meanings and be used in different contexts. Butter finger is just one example of how a phrase born out of sport has grown into everyday use and common understanding.