Brakes are essential for any vehicle to ensure safety during its operation. Braking is the process of stopping or slowing down a vehicle, machine, or mechanism. This process is achieved by using brake devices which vary in design and function depending on their application and type of the object being braked.
Table Of Content:
- Brake | Definition of Brake by Merriam-Webster
- Brake Meaning | Best 47 Definitions of Brake
- Hand Brake | Definition of Hand Brake by Merriam-Webster
- Brake lining Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- Air Brake | Definition of Air Brake by Merriam-Webster
- BREAK IN (phrasal verb) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...
- Definition of Emergency Brake by Merriam-Webster
- Brake Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- BRAKE | Definition of BRAKE by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com ...
- Drum brake definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
1. Brake | Definition of Brake by Merriam-Webster
Brake definition is - a device for arresting or preventing the motion of a mechanism usually by means of friction. How to use brake in a sentence. break and ...
2. Brake Meaning | Best 47 Definitions of Brake
The definition of a brake is a device used to slow down or stop a vehicle or machine. ... An example of brake is when you step on the pedal in your car that is next to the gas pedal in order to slow down or stop your car. ... From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition ... Brake Sentence Examples.
3. Hand Brake | Definition of Hand Brake by Merriam-Webster
Examples of hand brake in a Sentence. Recent Examples on the Web After passengers were evacuated, an attempt to tow the train to a rail yard resulted in it ...
4. Brake lining Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
Brake lining definition, the material, usually asbestos combined with other materials, used as the friction-producing element of a brake. See more. ... Top Definitions; Quizzes; Examples; British ... How to use brake lining in a sentence.
5. Air Brake | Definition of Air Brake by Merriam-Webster
Examples of air brake in a Sentence. Recent Examples on the Web After the plant closure announcement, the air brake tester found a job making dashboards ...
6. BREAK IN (phrasal verb) definition and synonyms | Macmillan ...
Definition of BREAK IN (phrasal verb): enter a place to steal; interrupt someone ... Definition and synonyms of break in from the online English dictionary from ...
7. Definition of Emergency Brake by Merriam-Webster
Emergency brake definition is - a brake (as on an automobile) that can be used for stopping in the event ... Examples of emergency brake in a Sentence ... See the full definition for emergency brake in the English Language Learners Dictionary ...
8. Brake Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
Brake definition, a device for slowing or stopping a vehicle or other moving mechanism by the absorption ... First recorded in 1275–1325; Middle English brake, probably by back formation from braken “thicket ... How to use brake in a sentence.
9. BRAKE | Definition of BRAKE by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com ...
noun · 1A device for slowing or stopping a moving vehicle, typically by applying pressure to the wheels. 'he slammed on his brakes'. More example sentences. 'a ...
10. Drum brake definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
Examples of 'drum brake' in a sentence. drum brake · The early ones were mostly drum brakes all the way around. · In 1909 a rear drum brake was fitted. · This ...
What are brakes?
Brakes are devices used to stop or slow the motion of a vehicle, machine, or mechanism.
What is braking?
Braking is the process of stopping or slowing down a vehicle, machine, or mechanism using brake devices such as disc brakes, drum brakes, and electronic brake systems.
How do braking systems work?
Braking systems typically use friction generated through contact between two components to convert kinetic energy into heat energy and slow down the moving object. Different types of brakes work differently but all achieve this same goal through various means.
In summary, brakes are essential tools used in vehicles and machines to stop or slow down their movement while braking involves using these brake components to convert kinetic energy into heat energy and thus reduce the speed of an object. Proper maintenance and understanding of how brakes work will help ensure safe operation for all users.