Acid rain is a type of precipitation with an acidic component, making it different from normal forms of precipitation such as snow or rain. The acidity of acid rain can be traced back to pollutants in the air, however scientists have discovered that natural elements such as volcanoes and decaying vegetation also contribute to its acidity.
Table Of Content:
- Acid Rain | Definition of Acid Rain by Merriam-Webster
- Acid rain Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
- What is Acid Rain? | US EPA
- Acid rain definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
- Use acid-rain in a sentence | The best 18 acid-rain sentence examples
- acid rain in a sentence | Sentence examples by Cambridge Dictionary
- Acid rain in a sentence (esp. good sentence like quote, proverb...)
- pollution | National Geographic Society
- acid rain | Definition, Causes, Effects, & Formulas | Britannica
- Acid rain facts and information
1. Acid Rain | Definition of Acid Rain by Merriam-Webster
Acid rain definition is - rain that has increased acidity caused by environmental factors (such as atmospheric pollutants). How to use acid rain in a sentence.
2. Acid rain Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
Acid rain definition, precipitation, as rain, snow, or sleet, containing relatively high concentrations of acid-forming chemicals, as the pollutants from coal smoke, ...
3. What is Acid Rain? | US EPA
Jul 8, 2021 ... Acid rain, or acid deposition, is a broad term that includes any form of precipitation with acidic components, such as sulfuric or nitric acid that fall ...
4. Acid rain definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
Examples of 'acid rain' in a sentence. acid rain ... These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more… And the one ...
5. Use acid-rain in a sentence | The best 18 acid-rain sentence examples
Acid gases, given off when we generate electricity, mix with sunlight and water in the atmosphere to produce acid rain . 2. 3.
6. acid rain in a sentence | Sentence examples by Cambridge Dictionary
5 days ago ... To them, acid rain and urban smog are more immediate and urgent concerns than global warming. From the Cambridge English Corpus. On the ...
7. Acid rain in a sentence (esp. good sentence like quote, proverb...)
Mar 14, 2017 ... 97+5 sentence examples: 1. The acid rain is threatening world environment. 2. Sulphur dioxide is the main precursor of acid rain. 3. Acid rain ...
8. pollution | National Geographic Society
Aug 18, 2011 ... When air pollutants such as nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide mix with moisture, they change into acids. They then fall back to earth as acid rain ...
9. acid rain | Definition, Causes, Effects, & Formulas | Britannica
Acid rain, precipitation possessing a pH of about 5.2 or below mainly produced from the emission of sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (the combination of ...
10. Acid rain facts and information
Feb 28, 2019 ... Normal rain is slightly acidic, with a pH of 5.6, while acid rain ... This means burning fewer fossil fuels and setting air-quality standards.
What causes acid rain?
Acid rais is caused by the release of nitrogen oxides and sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. These particles combine with water vapor in the air to form sulfuric and nitric acids which are strong enough to fall as showers, thus forming what is known as acid rain.
How does acid rain affect humans?
Acid rain can cause irritation to skin, eyes and lungs when people are exposed for long periods of time due to its corrosive qualities. It can also cause damage to buildings and monuments due to its corrosive qualities when it comes in contact with them for long periods of time.
What other organisms are affected by acid rain?
Acid rain not only effects humans but can also have a damaging effect on plants and animals living in polluted areas. This can lead to impaired growth or death if the effects become severe enough or go on for too long. In addition, aquatic life in polluted waters may become poisoned due to having ingested high levels of metals carried by the contaminated rainfall.
Is there any way that acid rain can be prevented?
Acid rain prevention involves controlling pollutant emissions from sources such as cars and factories, reducing consumption of fossil fuels, switching to cleaner energy sources, and planting trees which absorb carbon dioxide - all things which we have been working hard at over the last few decades.
The threat posed by acid rain has been recognized since the 1970s when countries began taking steps towards reducing pollutant emissions into the atmosphere. Over time these efforts have paid off as both environmental awareness and technology has grown more advanced leading us closer towards a healthier future where we will no longer face this hazard from our environment.